[meteorite-list] 5 reasons to record meteorite coordinates

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 18:39:03 -0500

Hello All,

I thought I would share this tiny snap shot in time of how and why taking
GPS coordinates are important for hunters and the science of collecting and
studying meteorite finds. Here are images of three different meteorite
individuals found within 100 feet of each other over a 2-day period while
hunting in California years ago. These three 'individual' meteorites (not
fragments) were later analyzed and determined to be paired to each other.

Adam's California cold find:
http://www.lunarrock.com/CA1999/Adam1.jpg

Steve's find an hour later:
http://www.lunarrock.com/CA1999/Steve1.jpg

...and my very first meteorite find ever, due to having coordinates of
Adam's cold find the day before. This first find was a whopping 1.3 grams
and means more to me than most of my larger finds later in life!

http://www.lunarrock.com/CA1999/Greg1.jpg

http://www.lunarrock.com/CA1999/Greg2.jpg

Just a snapshot in a time frame of responsible meteorite hunting...

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection