[meteorite-list] Scale Cubes [WAS: Ad Announcing the "Count" cube Scale / Orientation cube]

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 01:32:25 -0700 (PDT)

Shawn, Matt,

If I'm not mistaken, the scale cube was invented specifically for the lunar samples brought back by the Apollo missions.

Obviously, the idea behind using a scale cube is just that, to show the scale of the object in the photograph.

I agree that for good scientific reasons, a scale cube in some metric measurement makes the most sense. A cubic centimeter is most common, but why not a cubic decimeter or a cubic meter, if those are appropriately sized for the object? I have no problem with any sized scale cube as long as the dimension is clearly marked and visible in the photograph. 1-cm, 1 inch, no matter. There is no "standard" so to speak. The key is to use something of the appropriate scale for the object being photographed...

I have no objection to using other objects too, again as long as they are easily identifiable. I might not know what the coin is, if one is being used for scale, but I immediately have a general idea how big is probably is. As long as I can unambiguously identify it in the photograph, that's all I need. If the image is poor and I can't determine exactly what coin it is, much less the country of origin, much of the value of using that coin for scale is lost.

Most car keys are about the same size and have been for a very long time... Put them next to your rocks. I'll have some idea how big they are.

Something that REALLY bothers me is something ambiguous, like dice. They all look the same and come in many different sizes. Even the standard ones have no markings that tell you they are standard size, or some other size. If you see them in a photograph, is it a standard die, a small one from a board game or is it a huge novelty die from a game show??

I can assume it is a standard die or close to it and get a general scale of the object. The same goes for the plastic 1-cm cubes you see in photos that have no scale marked on them. By the weight of the object you can guess the cube is 1-cm, but it's really a bad idea not to include the actual size of your scale on your scale object, no matter what size it is!

Cheers

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography