[meteorite-list] meteorite-list] Scale Cubes

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 02:12:34 -0700 (PDT)

"Standard"

I may be mistaken, but has there be a standard set?

AFAIK, these are scale cubes, not standard cubes.

Now the example you cite is ambiguous. I have no way of knowing if it is a 1-cm cube or some other dimension because there is no scale on the scale cube. That is my gripe. For a scale cube to be truly useful it has to have the scale visible on it.

I really don't care of the actual size of a scale cube as long as the scale is visible in the image.

For the Count's find (which I can say I'm green with envy about. Nice job Count!) A 1 cm cube would be, in my opinion too small a 1 decimeter cube, clearly marked as such, would be much more appropriate.

I made the comment to Jeff Kuygen in a private email that a 1 meter scale cube would make more sense for a Hoba sized meteorite. Usually we use people to show the scale of this iron in situ. Can you imagine how ridiculous it would be to try to use a 1-cm scale cube to show Hoba's scale?

No. Scale cubes show scale and the scale needs to be appropriate to the object.

Cheers

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography