[meteorite-list] Ad Ebay sellers must see

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:45:06 -0400

Hi List,

Fleabay has been a hell for sellers and a heaven for buyers for a long
time now. I have stopped 99% of my selling on eBay because I can sell
the same items on my own website for zero fees. But, I still buy
stuff on eBay, including supplies like gemjars, bubble mailers,
shipping boxes, and shipping labels. I also pounce on the occasional
meteorite deal and have snagged a few of Adam's offerings in recent
weeks. I used to really like the eBay atmosphere back in 1999 when I
first started out there, but eBay has since done everything it can to
enforce a corporate-mindset on the membership, and now the sense of
community is gone. It's just another anonymous row of quasi-retail
storefronts and you can even identify the other shoppers standing next
to you while you are shopping. This is what happens when something
good is taken over by a bunch of suit-wearing, country-club
multimillionaires who don't give a damn about the product or the
service, just the amount of green streaming in. Unless the
shareholders mutiny, expect more the same from eBay in the future.

Having said that, I do have a single .99 cent auction up right now -
the first piece of NWA 6026 ever offered on fleabay. Feel free to bid
on it, or ignore it, or watch it -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290414451908

Some other eBay-like sites :

Bonanzle - better than eBay. No listing fees, small final value fee
only when an item sells. You get a free storefront plus live chat
bundled in. Downside - not quite as much traffic ebay, but still
pretty decent. I actually make a few regular sales there - and I have
staked my claim on it as the "biggest" meteorite dealer Bonanzle.
Until one of you folks set up shop over there and knock me off my
throne, I am the meteorite king of Bonanzle. LOL

Etsy - an arts-and-crafts version of eBay, dominated by artists and
mostly female sellers. You won't sell many meteorites there, but you
can sell some as crafting-supplies. I've sold some meteorite dust and
cuttings over there for artists to use in their works.

iOffer - auction site. I tried it, didn't like it.

Finally, when you folks are tired of getting strong-armed by eBay,
check out High-Wire ecommerce stores. It's where I host my store.
You pay a low monthly flat fee to have a store - no listing fees, no
final value fees, no percentages. You don't pay anything for sales -
sell a dollar or sell a million dollars and the fee is the same. I
love it. Caveat - you must be able to drive traffic to your store for
a service like this to replace eBay in your sales. I can drive
traffic to my site, so my sales are good. I cannot promise similar
results for everyone, but I don't miss eBay at all when it comes to
selling. If anyone reading this signs up for High-Wire (used to be
called Buy it Sell it), use my referral link to sign up because I'll
get a kickback! :)

http://app.buyitsellit.com/?ref=meteorite

Best regards,

MikeG