[meteorite-list] The Sniper Mentality

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:06:30 -0400

Hi Richard,

I think, but I'm not sure, the reason for sniping is because if you
bid early on an item, you are encouraging "action". As a buyer, if
you want the item at the lowest price possible, then you don't want a
lot of bidding action going on. One way to accomplish that is to bid
on the item at the last possible moment.

I use an opposite strategy - I place my one and final bid early on in
the auction. If the bidding exceeds my amount, I walk away from it.
I don't get caught up in the sniper games - if someone wants it bad
enough that they are going to use a special computer program to bid
for them, then let them have it - but they will still have to outbid
my early bid, and if their sniper bid is equal to my bid, then I win
the tie-breaker because I bid first - a disadvantage that no sniper
can get around. I have watched, in real time, snipers furiously try
to outbid me in the final seconds, only to lose because my original
bid was higher than their snipe attempt and they didn't leave
themselves enough time to snipe again.

I don't get it either, but I think it's because they are hoping by
holding their bids until the very end, they will contribute to
stagnant overall bidding and a lower closing price. ???

Or, they are developmentally disabled and have the whole concept wrong. LOL

Best regards,

MikeG