[meteorite-list] Rocks from Space Picture of the Day - March 22, 2010

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:35:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Eric.

I have to disagreed with you on some of your points.
Overall I do agree with you that the program has increased the awareness of meteorites and has probably grown the collector base a little so far. I suspect that the base will probably grow even more as the show continues in reruns. (At least one episode seems to be on at one time or another nearly every day. Buzzard Coulee is on again tonight).

Over all this is probably a good thing...

Institutions that accept submissions should have guessed they'd see an increase in meteorwrongs being sent to them and I can only assume that ASU expected it since they are so prominently featured in the program.

However, to say that the producers had to emphasis the monetary value of meteorites as much as they do just to get the ratings is non-sense. IMHO.

The network the show was intended for, and continues to air on is, ...

wait for it...

The SCIENCE Channel

People who watch this channel expect science; Real science. Popular science, even at times pseudo-science, but science none the less... They are looking to be educated. At least one can hope they are.

Just looking ahead at the programming over the next day I see programs on ancient Egypt, Black Holes, Killer Asteroids, how things are manufactured, etc., etc.

Not one discusses how you can go out and find treasure on the ground just waiting for you to come and pick it up.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the biggest disappointment I have with the program is the emphasis that was placed on the value of the meteorites, and the lack of time spent discussing the science. I have heard the same thing from colleagues and researchers in the field. The responses I've heard from every one of them is the show is good, but the fact that they put a value on every single stone they find is troublesome. "Where is the science?" is the most recurrent refrain.

During The Show last month I heard rumors that at least one and possibly two more meteorite hunter programs were being pitched or in the early stages of production, mostly because of the success of Meteorite Men. I can only hope that Geoff and Steve's producers will focus on the science a bit more if/when cycle two begins, but I fear that if these other meteorite programs make it to air, they'll take a cue from "MM" and focus on the value of meteorites.

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography