[meteorite-list] Cleaning a Gao

From: Steve Witt <stelor96_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:42:36 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings list,

I recently acquired a nice specimen of Gao showing some typical weathering. I was told the stone could be cleaned by soaking it in a weak solution of oxalic acid and demineralized water and then brushing it gently with a soft iron (brass) brush. Has anyone on the list had any experience with this procedure? I am a bit apprehensive about soaking a meteorite in water and was wondering what others thoughts are as to this process.

The individual who informed of this procedure was also a bit evasive about the the strength of the oxalic acid and did state that if too strong it would coat the specimen in a white substance that is not removable. A bit scary. Any thoughts?

thanx,
Steve

Steve Witt
IMCA #9020