[meteorite-list] Question about terrestrial age of 4.4 kyr

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:12:55 -0700 (PDT)

Darren,

I would have to agree with you on that NWA 869 would have been a massive light show 4,400 years ago (Thank you everyone :) that answer my question) because it represents one of the largest finds in the Saharan desert. The total weight so far that has been recovered is about 7 metric tons which comes to about 15,432.3584 pounds. It is said that before entry, NWA 869 was about 120-230 metric tons, which means that 90% to 95% of the mass was lost due to ablation during atmopheric passage. That would have been a sight to see, sun glasses anyone?

Shawn Alan

[meteorite-list] Question about terrestrial age of 4.4 kyr
Darren Garrison cynapse at charter.net
Tue Mar 23 01:46:31 EDT 2010