[meteorite-list] No nickel-free iron meteorites

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 18:25:55 -0400

Rob,
Sorry, What I was trying to say is that .1% of something is more that 0%. 0% would be zero. .1% would be something. So, to an atom size person the size of these nickel free iron inclusions found in Chondrules would seem rather large. Remember, They do exist they are just small in chondrules.
Image if you were the size of an atom and came up against a piece of iron that had been somehow removed from it's host rock (perhaps it crashed onto a hard surface here on Earth) . It would appear to be very large relatively speaking. remember, you are the size of an Atom.
That is what the Earth comparison was about. No one is saying nickel-free iron does not exist so, I am saying that it could be bigger than that found in a small chondrule. Nobody knows how big they are. Until the day comes that we find a big one. that is all I meant. They exist on a small scale so it stands to reason that they would exist on a smaller and a larger scale as well. I don't think we know everything about the size of everything yet. Which leaves room for reasonable doubt. Name one real thing that only comes in one size? That is how I would argue it if I were a juror based on the information at hand. Assuming no DNA evidence exists to the contrary.
I hope that makes more sense. I understand there is no NATURAL way of separating these nickel free iron inclusions from their host rock but, meteorites do it all the time by collisions with other meteorites. So far we have only seen relatively small ones in part because we don't always look. Once they fail the quick nickel test they are dead to the world. True story. If you tell an investigator you did a nickel test and it was negative you can talk until blue in the face. Nobody is still listening. that was my original point. We might be missing real meteorites. Maybe Dr. Rubin would not but, screening by others happens way before he ever sees them.
Carl

--
Carl or Debbie Esparza
Meteoritemax