[meteorite-list] Apollo 13's Booster Impact

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:17:30 -0600

This probably isn't even a "crater" in the usual sense, but more of an
impact pit. From low lunar orbit, where the Apollo craft were inserted, the
impact speed will be less than 2600 m/s- probably not even close to what
would be considered hypervelocity in the sense it is used for cratering,
given the nature of the lunar surface. So you just do a kinetic energy
calculation, and get 4.7e10 J or about 11 tons TNT equivalent. The crater
(or pit) size seems pretty reasonable for that.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com