[meteorite-list] Falling stars: NEAF and meteorites

From: Greg Stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:43:01 -0700

Looks like lots of fun and a great time for the kids.

Greg S.

http://cs.astronomy.com/asycs/blogs/astronomy/2010/03/30/falling-stars-neaf-and-meteorites.aspx

Falling stars: NEAF and meteorites
Posted 03-30-2010 by Mike Reynolds

In 2009, Contributing Editor Mike Reynolds conducted a series of ?family meteorite workshops? at Florida State College in Jacksonville, Florida. He will present several more at the North East Astronomy Forum in April. Mike Reynolds photo
On April 17 and 18, the North East Astronomy Forum (NEAF) will take place at Rockland College in Suffern, New York. This year, Astronomy magazine will be sponsoring the meeting. This mecca of astronomy goodies ? from companies who show everything from eyepieces to telescopes of every type ? is one of the year?s best-attended shows. The Rockland Astronomy Club (RAC) hosts NEAF and is led by my good friend Alan Traino, who puts his all into NEAF, as does the entire RAC team.

I remember my first NEAF. I thought I had died and gone to astronomical heaven. I had never seen so many astronomical companies in one room, albeit a college gymnasium. And in addition to all of the companies and their wares, NEAF offers talks and presentations for attendees as well as activities for kids and their families.

This year Alan has asked me to set up a booth that will have a number of meteorite-related activities for kids attending NEAF. This is a large bill to fill, but I?ll do my best. First I will have a large exhibit of meteorites, tektites, and impactites. Nothing beats learning about meteorites like seeing them firsthand. This display will also include a number of meteorite items, from skillfully crafted knives to meteorites depicted on stamps and coins. I also will feature demonstrations and activities. Some of what I have planned for attendees includes:

Demonstrations:

??? *
????? Comet-making ? from dry ice, water, carbon, ammonium hydroxide, silicates, organics; always a fun activity to see and clearly demonstrates the simple makeup of a comet.
??? *
????? Cosmic Killer! ? determining if someone could be killed by a meteorite strike (a new activity I just developed for a science supply company).
??? *
????? Iron meteorite etching ? to show the Widmanst?tten pattern in nickel-iron crystalline structures.
??? *
????? Nickel testing ? confirming nickel in meteorites (first question: How do we know if it is a meteorite or a ?meteor-wrong??).

Ongoing Activities:

??? *
????? Classification of meteorites ? Irons, Stones, and Stony-Irons, with identifications; I?ll also have a brochure available.
??? *
????? Optical and hand-held digital microscopes for viewing meteorite surfaces and interiors on a computer monitor.
??? *
????? Magnetic meteorites ? a demonstration of magnetic properties.
??? *
????? Meteoritic splash ? creating craters and rays in large tray of fine builder?s sand; the top layer will show impact rays.
??? *
????? ?Meteor-wrongs? ? how to identify many of the average so-called meteor-wrongs like loadstone, granite, etc.
??? *
????? Meteorite podcast ? my Falling Stars talk.
??? *
????? Searching for meteorites ? kids that attend will use an ubermagnet and search a large tray of fine builder?s sand for ?buried? meteorites.
??? *
????? Thin-section meteorite slides ? using projection microscopes, kids will have the opportunity to see ?through? a meteorite.

As you might have guessed, these activities and demonstrations are really for anyone and everyone. If you want to learn more about meteorites and in a hands-on way, this will be your golden opportunity.

Alan also asked that I set up a booth offering meteorites for sale. Most of what I will bring will be inexpensive meteorites for those who want a ?piece of the rock? at a reasonable price. There will also be some spectacular meteorites available, from museum-quality large meteorite slabs to lunar meteorites. I have been working with one of my college students ? an art major ? to create some unusual and stunning meteorite jewelry. I will also do a book signing for my introductory meteoritics book entitled Falling Stars.

NEAF is always a fun event, and with the emphasis this year on kids, outreach, and astronomy, I hope attendees take home with them our enthusiasm. Next month we?ll explore more meteorite topics, and I?ll have a report from NEAF.

Do you have a meteorite question? Collecting tales? Successful meteorite hunts? A favorite meteorite or book? A must-see meteorite exhibit? Please email me at mreynolds at fscj.edu. I will explore your meteorite questions and more each month!
Keep looking up!
Dr. Mike Reynolds

Previous "Falling Stars" blogs:

??? * A preview of the 2010 Tucson Gem and Mineral Show, January 22, 2010
??? * About the spectacular stony-iron meteorite Imilac, December 29, 2009
??? * Learn more about the meteorite Northwest Africa 869, December 4, 2009

?