[meteorite-list] The Latest Nevada Find, Not

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:40:16 -0700 (PDT)

Dear List,

The "four million dollar meteorite" showed up that I mentioned yesterday. The sad thing is that these people actually convince themselves that these are real meteorites and that they are worth millions. This guy thinks his is exactly like Sonny's find that he saw on TV, only bigger. He says that he did his research, went to the neighborhood and found it, figuring a professional must have missed it. He wrote to me that he sealed it in a coffee can and smelled it a couple of days later. He stated that he could detect the unmistakable smell of Murchinson that only carbon type meteorites give off. I believe this object is made out of tar and that is what he is smelling or he has been sniffing the sauce (drinking too much alcohol). Either way, this is another heartbreak in the making.

Now, I have the unpleasant task of returning it to him with the bad news that he is not the latest millionaire and that the funds for his granddaughter's medical bills will have to come from somewhere else..

Here are some images for those who may be interested:

Link one:
http://themeteoritesite.com/NevadaMeteorite-a.jpg

Link two:
http://themeteoritesite.com/NevadaMeteorite-b.jpg