[meteorite-list] New Eucrite? - Eastern Slovakia

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 31 Mar 2010 21:01:14 UT

Phew, just when I was about to send the post below to the List, another post
arrived here, and ...c'mon folks, let's be courteous. We've been through such
things many times before, I've been through such things in our German Forum
and I can tell you, it will only lead to other direct or indirect attacks which
will polarize the MetList members ... only result: a lot of broken glass!

.. and another post. You see, it's getting destructive instead of constructive :-(

Hi Dirk, Eric, and List,

Eric wondered: "... does this appear to be an achondrite/eucrite maybe?"
Dirk responded: "the fusion crust; is this what would be expected from a eucrite?"

Looks more like an ordinary chondrite, H5 or H6, because of its dull, matte crust!
If it was a fresh eucrite, the crust should be much more"glossy" or "wet-looking"
because eucrites are calcium-rich and usually have a small amount of iron and
that's why they look "wet".

Best wishes from
Germany,

Bernd