[meteorite-list] Amateur Meteoriticists?

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 13:22:12 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sun, 10/3/10, Martin Altmann <altmann at meteorite-martin.de> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I was thinking more to the aspect, in your originally
> posting, how amateurs
> would collaborate with scientists and what their
> contribution to meteorite
> science is.
>
> Hence not so what they achieve in the academic apparatus,
> in sense of
> publications and working in mineralogy, petrology ect. - as
> meteoricists.

[Detailed response snipped]

Thanks you Martin for your excellent response. As I mentioned in my previous post, I do not want to denigrate the efforts of hunters and your post gives me much to consider.

As you mention in your first paragraph, my original intent was to understand a little more about how amateurs can and do contribute to the science and what collaborations with the professional community can be or are available to the amateur.

I apologize that I myself got a little sidetracked by the questions of what makes an amateur or a professional.

Cheers

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography