[meteorite-list] Meteorite miniatures

From: Matthias Bärmann <majbaermann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 00:33:27 +0200

Hello all,

as far as I know the iconological context of this scene is the destruction
of all idols which Mohammed found at this place, the Kaaba. Idol (eidolon)
means: image in the sense of portrayal. The Black Stone, Haschr al-Aswad
(Hi, Svend ;-), in contrary, was not an idol, it was an i c o n : not
imitation: representation, or better: realisation.

In the case of the 14th cent. miniature from the J?ME? al-TAW?RI?: the
depiction of the Prophet isn't such unusual, Martin, as it is Persian art -
in medieval times far more liberal and free as, alas!, today.

The carpet on the early miniature from the J?ME? al-TAW?RI? with this
typical synthesis of plantal and geometrical ornaments, carrying the Black
Stone, seems to be a work of the Silk Road, most probably region of Kashgar.

Best Regards,

Matthias