[meteorite-list] Another meteorite millionaire wannabe

From: Impactika at aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 15:39:14 EDT

Let me make one thing perfectly clear:

The IMCA is NOT using Funds but Time, a whole lot of time, on this.

It used to be that one or at most two Directors were able to answer all the
questions that we receive on our _Questions at IMCA.cc_
(mailto:Questions at IMCA.cc) address. This is not true anymore, now the whole Board participates,
and Yes, 99% of the questions fall in the "I found a meteorite" category.
And so far this year, only one turned out to be a real meteorite. I am
sorry none of us took the time to count out many questions we received, but I
can assure you they were many, and in quite a few cases it took more than one
email to explain that the found rock was nowhere near being a meteorite, not
even a good meteowrong.

I hope this clears up that issue.

Anne M. Black
_http://www.impactika.com/_ (http://www.impactika.com/)
_IMPACTIKA at aol.com_ (mailto:IMPACTIKA at aol.com)
Vice-President, I.M.C.A. Inc.
_http://www.imca.cc/_ (http://www.imca.cc/)

In a message dated 9/12/2010 1:20:29 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
star_wars_collector at yahoo.com writes:
> I was told that the IMCA is tying up a huge amount of resources on
meteorite wrongs these days

Why? This is more of an IMCA issue and I dont want to get into it too much,
but why is the IMCA using funds to test wrongs and who is approving the use
of this? The is the first I have ever heard of the IMCA helping to identify
meteorites and using funds to do so! As a member of the IMCA, I would like
to have some say in what the money is being spent on, and testing wrongs is
NOT one of the things I would use money on. I can get preliminary testing
done for free, why cant anyone else?