[meteorite-list] Meteorite testing locations -Wasmeteorite millionaire

From: Marcin Cimala <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 01:23:43 +0200

>From: "Martin Altmann" <altmann at meteorite-martin.de>
> I don't know, since I opened my webpage, I was bombarded with tons of
> emails, pictures... several thousands.
> If the photos are half-decent, sharp and not made during a solar eclipse,
> one can exclude in 90% of the cases immediately, that it's a meteorite. 5%
> are meteorites, which people got as a gift. Usually Sikhote and such
> stuff.
> 4.5% do at least resemble to a certain degree a meteorite, there you can
> ask
> the people to do home some simple tests (magnet, streak test, density or
> break off a corner).
> For that you don't need a lab. Every experienced collector or dealer can
> handle that.
> 0.4 are worth to cut off a corner to look inside or in case, that it's
> sheer
> iron to make a nickel test and/or to etch a surface.
> And 0.1% or less are then still so interesting, that they should be tested
> in a lab. And I say tested, not classified. Classification is a step
> further.
>
> O.k. that ratios are from my experiences here in Europe, where we have no
> deserts, they might be different in USA.

Heh well said Martin.
Just same situation here. 9 yerars as Im on a scene as a dealer and 9 years
of answering "Sorry but Your sample is ordinary rock".
>From my observations peoples in Poland have completly no ***** idea how
meteorites looks like. I receiving mostly basalts and pieces of old man-made
iron. Thats sad and Im really tired of all this emails with 20 photos of
same rock, each out of focus and in size 2MB/photo, but... I still have
stupid hope that some day someone will send me photo of his 20kg type 3 :D

acha and next fall in Poland

acha, sure Im naive

nite all.

http://www.Meteoryty.pl marcin(at)meteoryty.pl