[meteorite-list] Meteorites most resistant to oxidation?

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 07:05:53 -0700 (PDT)

Dear List,

Mike wrote:

I bet Adam thought he had a lunar with that one.

Luckily, I first saw NWA 5234 in bright sunlight and had a loop handy. I knew
from looking at the less shocked basaltic portions that it wasn't lunar.
Admittedly, the translucent crust did make my heart skip at first. The Moroccan
dealer believed me when I told him it wasn't a lunar but I still paid a hefty
price since it was different. It reminded me of a Cat Mountain version of an
achondrite.

An interesting note is that this same dealer had a large weathered Martian
Shergottite in the same pile as NWA 5234. After observing the sparkling
Masklenite on a broken surface, I told him what I thought it was and then his
asking price went through the roof. I could have said nothing and got it for a
decent price but I do not operate this way. Although the Shergottite looked
badly weathered on the outside, I observed slices of it several months later
after another dealer purchased it and cut it into slices. The interior portion
looked very fresh once you got past the weathering rind. I guess you cannot
judge a book by its cover.

Best Regards,

Adam