[meteorite-list] tatahouine

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 13:07:41 -0700

Hello Carl, All,
Same format -

1) I am not the police. When I see someone say something that I
perceive to be untrue, I say something about it. When I see someone
saying something unduly mean and/or possibly incriminating --
especially if they have no evidence to back their comments up -- I'll
say something about it.

That's what any decent person would do.

2) With regards to Bill Sajkowitz, I have not stated what you claim I
have. I surmised that his finds were highly suspect, and, after
talking with some other local hunters who have spoken with him, I
personally believe that his claims of finding what he has are not
based in fact.

That is not to say that I have any *good evidence* to support my beliefs.

But -- when I hear stories about people who appear out of nowhere and
submit multiple new, large, and extremely rare meteorites that they
claim to have found, and then refuse to show *anyone* a single one of
their finds -- I tend to believe that the stories aren't true. If
someone makes a crazy claim, I expect to see some evidence supporting
it. If the person making the claims has repeatedly refused to do even
that, I begin to wonder...

That is all I'm willing to say on the matter; outright accusing anyone
of fraud at this point would again be akin to libel. Sajkowitz could
be the luckiest meteorite hunter in the world. It's possible. All I
can say is that I personally doubt that because I'm a rational person.
 Believe what you will.

3) Elton does not "keep things real." He has made a number of
informative posts over the years, but whenever Steve Arnold of Chicago
comes up, he goes off the deep end. What if Steve is using money his
wife has earned to buy meteorites? What if he's using money from
sales? What if he has a little money saved up from his job and he's
buying meteorites with that? Unless Elton can prove that none of
these possibilities is true, he *needs* to stop accusing Steve of
illicit crap, because what he is saying is legally libel, and I have
the feeling the only reason he keeps saying the same crap is because
he likes taking out his pent-up emotional crap on Steve -- and because
he knows he can get away with it.

Furthermore, you completely disregarded my note about how most dealers
and collectors avoid paying taxes on many transactions because many
purchases are simply never declared. Unless we're talking about
getting the IMCA to enforce such things, bringing up this sort of
federal/state financial rubbish is just crap.
It's like trying to plaster a politician you don't like with something
-- when you know they're all guilty of the same things anyways.

If Steve has cheated people in our community, that is an issue that
they should take up with the IMCA, and if they wish to make public
comments regarding his integrity to the list, detailing the situation,
that is up to them.

I've heard of countless underhanded things that prominent list-members
have done over the years, and I'm not saying anything about them.
Why? It's not my place to bring other peoples' issues to light. If
they want to do that, it's on them. Not you, Elton, or I. Secondhand
information becomes third, becomes hearsay. It all becomes rumors and
lies.

Elton's making unrelated accusations without proof, and with what
appears to be pure malice as a motivator. That passes in politics,
but I'd like to think we meteorite-folk can at least pretend to have
higher standards.

Jason