[meteorite-list] NYT story

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 18:52:02 -0700

Thanks Bob for the link!

Just so everyone on the Met-List knows, because some may not follow this
thread or topic on other forums, I think Met-List members who won't
click the link to view this very long thread/topic would be interested
to know that the person who said that quote in the NYT article ?I?m very
ashamed,? the buyer wrote on a blog. ?I?m surely a part of the problem.?

also said this today!

----------------Begin Quote----------------------
"...Hi

I think the quote is from a post of mine.

I still 100% behind the statement and in the case of Gebel Kamil I
mostly agree with the article.

No matter if a sample is bought second- or third handed, it still very
wrong to do so unless it's legal, ethical and morally in order.

I my opinion it is a disaster that profit hunters or collectors spoil
such places like the Gebel Kamil crater.

And yes there's huge problems - It is possible to buy say, Canadian
samples, were the permits is not traceable to specific sample.

--------------------
Lars..."

He got one part absolutely right when he said "I?m surely a part of the
problem."

Not trying to be mean, but this kind of ignorance is what hurts our
hobby. It's worse even when it comes from within our community.

I will refrain from commenting further on this as I might say something
that might be construed as harsh.

Regards,
Eric