[meteorite-list] New York Times Article

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 17:36:01 -0400

Hi Martin and List,

Martin said - " Neither the others from the list here could do it,
cause they are junkies.... Nor IMCA can help, because in that former
Gebel Kamil article in New Scientist IMCA was umasked as the meteorite
trade's dogsbody...I agree with Matt and others. In principle only a
rebuttal of an esteemed meteorite scientist would be credible. (Best
would be of course by Dr.Harvey himself)."

Agreed 100%. Someone in the scientific community should make the
rebuttal. The IMCA has an obvious conflict of interest in the matter
in regards to selling meteorites for profit (especially since some
IMCA dealers are selling Gebel Kamil). Most collectors and dealers
would also have trouble being viewed as objective by most.

As Richard K. just said in another post, this is likely much-ado about
not-much. In other words, this is not the end of the world. Another
fool saying foolish things about meteorites. Surely this will add to
the body of ridiculous misconceptions about meteorites, but no
rational person is going to be swayed by pulp fiction like the NYT
article.

Best regards,

MikeG

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com