[meteorite-list] NYT Story

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 19:30:06 -0700 (PDT)

It seems some disagree with this statement I made earlier.

<I have a hard time believing that any form of media would liable themselves by
putting quotes

around something that was completely made up.>

I am not defending the NYT and think the article is poor.

It used to be when quote marks were printed that this was the exact statement
made. Why would the NYT even use quote marks if what they print is inaccurate?
I can see them taking these responses out of context but changing what somebody
said and placing quote marks around it is nothing short of liable.

If this reporter knows nothing about meteorites and was a blank slat start with,
then somebody had to put these thoughts into his head. It looks to me that Dr.
Harvey might have set the tone for this article. Perhaps, he was quoted out of
context but if so, it his responsibility to clarify it since he granted them the
interview. If you want to be in the limelight, then you have to take
responsibility for any negative fallout. After all, he was acting as a
spokesperson for the rest of us by granting this public interview.

Everybody else quoted in this article has stepped up to the plate, took
responsibility for what was said and explained what they meant to say. I
applaud this action and believe most mentioned in this article were completely
caught off guard.

I do not cherish the thought of somebody else speaking on my behalf publicly,
especially when they were not elected to do so. What is printed or plastered on
TV affects all of us. Remember this when an interview with the media seems to
be getting out of hand. You can always stop the interview and move on. Most
media outlets thrive on negative entertainment and it works. One just has to
look at the negative political campaigns to see this. If it did not work, then
politicians would not use this tactic. It takes ten positive articles to offset
one negative one.

This ratings over responsibility attitude can be devastating. Just ask any
former treasure hunter.

Best Regards,

Adam