[meteorite-list] NYT Addendum

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 08:46:49 -0700 (PDT)

Here is another piece of negative press where Dr. Ralph Harvey comments about
the legality of meteorites. If you search the Google news archives, you will see
that he is very familiar with the press and seems to bask in it. It is too bad
that he doesn't focus more on the Antarctic program instead of commenting on
laws he knows nothing about. I have met several researches that go on these
Antarctic trips that do not share his views . Most are sample oriented
scientists and could care less where they were found. Many of these same
researchers have studied meteorites from Northwest Africa and have type
specimens in their institutional collections.

The Antarctic program has been very successful so I do not see the need to
downgrade meteorites found elsewhere unless the influx coming from the private
sector somehow endangers the program. I do not think this negative press will
help the cause and demonstrates a lack of collaboration that is needed for
long-term success. Most are happy with the Antarctic program so why make
enemies in the private sector that funds these expeditions?

Tax payers may soon ask why should we continue such a program since the head of
it is perceived as putting out too much negative effort attacking others when he
should be focused on science and logistics.

Here is the link if anybody cares:

I think it is time for me to start concentrating on more positive aspects and
accept that the damage has already been done.

Best Regards,

Adam