[meteorite-list] Huge Asteroid to Pass Near Earth in November

From: Don Merchant <dmerchan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 18:16:55 -0500

Get your telescopes out to those places on Earth that might get a glimpse of
it. It states that when this asteroid returns this November 2011, that it
will pass between the Moon and Earth! Somewhere around 160,000 miles from
Earth....that's pretty close! Being about 1300 feet in diameter I would
think one with a decent scope would be able to view it. I know I'll give it
try. Here's an interesting food for thought....I love it when these computer
mathematicians from NASA say that based on their calculations of the orbit
of Earth and the figured orbit of an asteroid, that there is no chance of a
collision. Now lets say 2 months from now another small asteroid (one that
we do not track because it's too small to be seen) hits the first asteroid
that just passed earth. This "space bump" or collision may not of been a big
deal, but over a large area and time, that "bump" has changed that asteroids
orbit, thus if fate has it's way, it might just be enough to now collide
with Earth on its next pass!. These calculations work perfect on paper but
in the real world...or should I say in the real universe, no one can
guarantee any of the thousands of asteroids floating around that their orbit
will remain stable. If it did, we would see maybe several much larger then
the Ceres asteroids, instead of the thousands of smaller one's being
tracked. I do like the fact that many asteroids are tracked, but what good
is it if an actual collision is calculated. We have nothing in place to
prevent it or stop it. If we tried anything it would be trial and error and
then too late! Sorry if I went slightly off subject but still about
meteorites.
Sincerely
Don Merchant
Founder-Cosmic Treasures Celestial Wonders
 http://www.ctreasurescwonders.com/index.html
IMCA #0960