[meteorite-list] Rebuttal to NY Times article

From: Richard Montgomery <rickmont_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 16:44:51 -0700

Anne, great job! Not only did you challenge the rogue and hyperbole writing
of the NYT 'author' you approached it with grace and the respect to
meteoritics exemplary of the IMCA.

It would have been easy to write a scathing response with guns blazing black
(pun intended) but that would merely have achieved the goal the NYT seems
determined to illicit. It remains to be seen if they'll publish it.

Needless to say, the hyperbole is already out there (I've been approached by
some non-enlightened friends about my interest in meteorites, having read
the article, and questioning my intentions...yet I do have my facts straight
and point them to be on the aware for pending respectful responses from both
the scientific and collector community...i.e. your response now available
for me to reference.)

It still remains to be seen why their tact of slandering meteorite
collecting was pushed in the inciteful direction the author chose.

Richard Montgomery