[meteorite-list] Question for dealers re: displaying sold items

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 21:11:56 -0400

Hi Gang,

In my case, I offer mostly micromounts, so keeping dozens of redundant
photos of small crumbs doesn't hold any value in terms of keeping a
record. For larger pieces, I'll keep the specimen online for a couple
of weeks - long enough for the buyer to receive the specimen and
compare it to the listing on the website (if they desire). Then, I do
periodic "prunings" where I delete older sold listings, rotate items
in/out of the "brand new" category, add new content (articles), etc.

I use a hosted ecommerce service that is "turn key". I pay a set fee
per month that is not based on sales like eBay is. Instead, I pay
based on how much server resources my online store consumes -
bandwidth, disk space, etc. One of the criteria used for billing is
the number of items in a store. If I exceed a certain number of
items, I pay an increased fee. So, I keep my overall number of
listings trimmed down to a limit. If I kept a long-term record of all
sold items, I would have exceeded that limit long ago.

I do keep a permanent record of old photos of sold/traded specimens on
my hard-drive and on back-up storage media.

Best regards,

MikeG

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com