[meteorite-list] "Death by GPS" in desert

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 11:47:18 EDT

>>This sort of thing happens in this country during winter. Some areas of
Canada are poorly mapped and very often
the GPS data in the unit is already outdated. For instance many stores
here in Victoria (BC) have closed, moved etc,
new roads have been open for a couple of years and yet the updated GPS
mapping data uploaded from the provider
still isn't "updated".<<

My wife and I use the SPOT system that seems to work great everywhere we
used it. She is a serious backpacker and I keep tabs where she's at when she
sends a well being signal wherever she's at. The only places she seems to
have trouble getting a signal out is if she's in a deep canyon. I've tested
a few times its accuracy to within about 20 feet of where she's at. Its
reassuring to get her signals on my computer that also sends one of three
pre-made messages...such as: "Hi I'm doing fine and am having fun.". Or 'I'm
in a serious situation and need to be rescued."
GeoZay