[meteorite-list] "Death by GPS" in desert

From: Jim Wooddell <jimwooddell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 07:31:54 -0700

Stories like this have been around for the last 20 years.
Yep...Found few dead people in the desert over the years. By the time
they are reported missing, by the time we find them they look like
burnt beef jerky. It is a serious issue. Where I live, I have seen
135 degrees and we are consistently hotter than the NWS promotes as
the hottest part of the country....and our temp gauges are not located
anywhere close to pavement as other cities are (that claim being the
hottest).
We have a road here called Shea Rd. It goes from Parker to the Bill
Williams River. Often, I've been out there turning people around or
pulling them out of the sand because their GPS told them this was a
route to take to get to Vegas or parts North. I hear, "Well my GPS
told me this was the way".
The bad part of the temp is that it does not cool down at night much.
If it's 125 during the day, it might drop to 110 at night. Makes for
tough camping if you are not sitting in the Colorado River!!

Hey...for the hunters...was hunting Gold Basin yesterday, took a few
nice pictures of a friendly rattlesnake that was out getting a sun
tan. Be safe other there!

Cheers!

Jim Wooddell
http://desertsunburn.no-ip.org