[meteorite-list] Cleaning off some dust and dirt?

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 18:04:33 -0700 (PDT)

All,

The mailman delivered my latest acquisition today, a beautiful, oriented 98% crusted 107g Millbillillie individual.

It does have same nice radial flow lines that I would like to bring out when I have a change to put it in front of the camera.

I would like to 'clean up' some of the red dirt/dust to accentuate these lines, but obviously I don't want to damage the specimen and hurt the value. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to gently removes some of this dust/dirt from the tops of the flowlines so they are a little more clearly defined visually than they are now?

A gentle wipe with a cotton ball dampened with ethanol perhaps?

I know some will say don't touch it; Leave it as it is, but that's not what I am asking so please don't respond with that. I'm not looking to radically change the appearance or character of the stone, just accentuate the flow lines a little more.

Thanks

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography