[meteorite-list] The age of Mifflin. ?470 million years? Really?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 00:24:33 -0500

It's the usual reporter scramble that results
when a scientist tries to explain something
more complicated than Brittany Spears or
Charlie Sheen to a reporter.

Mifflin's an L chondrite. John Valley and
Noriko Kita have done a lot of work on the fossil
L chondrites of the Ordovician period, which
fell at rates 100 times greater than today's fall
rates, apparently after the breakup of the L
chondrite parent body sometime shortly before
470 million years ago.

They must have tried to explain all this to the
reporter instead being smart and saying "Yeah,
it's a rock from outer space and it's really old,
old as the solar system itself" and just letting
it go at that.

Sorta like what you would say to a five-year-old.
Always a good idea to talk to reporters like they
were five-year-olds. Don't try to make them
handle too much.

So, all of that got mushed together into this:
"Scientists believe [it] was originally part of an
asteroid fragment that separated 470 million
years ago between Mars and Jupiter." (From
the other local TV station.)

Remember... Five-year-olds.

Sterling K. Webb