[meteorite-list] Birth of Asteroids and Planets. (Was: The age of Mifflin. ?470 million years? Really?)

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 01:29:50 -0500

In the case of meteorites (and asteroids and comets
and planets) when molecules begin adhering to each
other in a process that leads to the formation of
particles, dust, grit, grains, lumps, clots, clumps,
rocks, planetesimals, and so on, as far as it goes.

>From the moment molecules agglomerate, they
become part of that body, no longer available to
outside forces, except as part of a whole, and
insulated from the direct effects of those outside
forces (within limits and again, except as a whole).

That's when the "age clock" of an object in a solar
system starts ticking, when things come together.

Individual atoms have ages, too. Hydrogen is as
old as the universe itself, dating from the era when
radiation condenses into matter, matter into particles,
and particles into atoms. That's how old a hydrogen
atom is. Helium's just a smidge younger than that
(and deuterium) and lithium.

Heavier elements are cooked in the stars that form,
when they die. A hydrogen supergiant born early
in the life of the universe burns through its life and
blows up into heavier elements right away. But that
process goes on even today. Somewhere new heavy
atoms are being made right now.

But the super-vast majority of elements in your
body (and mine and all living things) are all old
stardust from stars that died before (or as) the solar
system formed, so we're all as old as the planet
by the age of our atoms, even though these particular
atoms didn't decide to hang out in this particular
body until just a very few years ago when one cell
became two and two, four...

Just for a while. They'll be moving on, after a while.

Sterling K. Webb