[meteorite-list] Oman story in the local Muscat news today.

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 16:09:57 -0400

Interesting. This mining angle? While Meteorite hunting this past weekend we came across a BLM law enforcement policeman in full uniform. Including guns, extra clips, mace cuffs bullet proof vest. The whole enchilada with 4 wheel drive and rifles inside.
He told us he himself knew nothing about meteorite laws but, in general he was okay with us picking up surface rocks as a small group.
He went on to say that if this had been an official University get together that he would have required a permit. Or if we were digging with tools he would also want to see a permit.
Interestingly he said we were the first people he has ever met that were meteorite hunting in this "Empire Ranch" area of AZ. His biggest concern was the protection of Ground hogs they had recently released there. We were not to disturb them.
I told him I had read that it was okay to take surface meteorites from BLM land as long as they were not too big (in excess of 25 pounds ). he reiterated that as long as we were not leaving big holes he was fine with it.
No. nothing found this time.
Carl
--
Carl or Debbie Esparza