[meteorite-list] NASA posthumously honors astronaut Alan Shepard with Moon rock

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 16:47:47 -0700 (PDT)

I went to one of these Moon rock presentations for Conrad at the Museum of
Flight a few years ago. His wife accepted the award on his behalf. They had a
slide show about him and his wife took the stage to explain what kind of a man
he was. I think it is very fitting that moon walkers or their families actually
get a piece of what they risked their lives for. The ~ one gram specimen was
mounted in tubular Lucite with the top cut at an angle. I snapped an image of
it but can't find it right now. I recall it looking just like a lunar meteorite
breccia.

In any case, these guys deserve it as they are real American heroes, not the
posers we see so much of these days.

Best Regards,

Adam