[meteorite-list] Impact Question

From: Barrett <BarrettWF_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 20:20:05 -0600

A very LARGE impact such as the one you are talking about, the "fire" is
super heated gases. The incoming meteor is traveling apprx 14,000 to 40,000
miles per hour, thus superheating everything, and a large meteor doesn't
burn up on entry but travels to the earth. Upon impact and the resulting
sudden stop, the inertia of it travels into the earth, creating heat, and
lot's of it. The super heated gases travel outwards catching anything
flammable on fire. Then you have the super heated debris that is ejected
from the impact site that is also thrown out much like hot lava balls. The
gases behind the meteor is also super heated to a state of super hot plasma
generating more heat.