[meteorite-list] Impact Question

From: John Hendry <pict_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:57:08 -0700

In fairness to Sterling I think he did give a simple answer, and I think
you raise a few interesting notions.

I wouldn't get too upset at the nitpicking, it is the mechanism by which
we get closer to the truth, but I can understand how you feel aggrieved by
being pounced on for your simple explanation. Not everyone is cut out for
the diplomatic corps.

I currently believe in the Law of Conservation of Energy. i.e. Energy
cannot be created or destroyed, only converted in form, whether that be
the classical manifestations or to and from matter. So I believe there is
a perfect conversion of the impactor's kinetic energy. A plasma ball is
one obvious manifestation but this patently isn't a perfectly inelastic
collision? All of the kinetic energy is not destroyed. A lot of it will
get transferred to the target body as the crater is excavated and seismic
waves are induced as the earth wobbles. This transferred kinetic energy
will largely be converted to heat quite quickly as the debris lands and
the seismic waves die down, but I bet some remains as the Earth's motion
in space is permanently changed. A small change in velocity but a huge
mass.

So what I find interesting is what the breakdown of energy transfer would
actually be. Patently there is a lot instantly transferred to heat at the
point of contact between impactor and impactee, but how much I wonder is
transferred to non-thermal momentum of and within the impactor, and how
much of that momentum ultimately remains in a different earth motion after
the wobbles die down as they convert to heat?

In addition I should imagine the pressures and temperatures created by
something Chixalub scaled are enormous. Is there any possibility that
matter might be created or destroyed by induced thermonuclear reactions
under such extreme pressure and temperature?

I think your right to nitpick. It should have been called the hydrogen
fusion derived neutron accelerated conventional vanilla flavoured fission
bomb.

Regards,
John