[meteorite-list] Impact Question

From: John Hendry <pict_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 21:41:51 -0700

Hard to pick typical melting points for mafics as composition seems to
have quite an influence. Just looking at the olivine end members you have
forsterite melting at 1890 degC and fayalite at around 1200 degC.

In the 1g melting energy calcs I ignored the nickel content so the numbers
I used for iron alone would only approximate meteoritic matter, but from
the above fact I was far less confident of what the typical melting point
of a stoney would be so plumped for Fe.

I was wondering if in the course of scientific study if samples of
different types of meteorites have been taken to their melting point, or
if the melting points can be reliably inferred from the mineralogy? I
would think this information might be related to predicting atmospheric
ablation rates.

Anyway with regard to the second sentence of your post Sterling; although
iron has a higher melting point than most rocks it may not be easier to
melt than basalt in terms of energy. The specific heat capacity of basalt
at 0.84 (kJ/kg/K) is substantially higher than iron at 0.45. Heating a
kilo of these two materials from 0K to their respective melting points
takes...

Basalt 1210K * 0.84 = 1016 kJ
Iron 1803K * 0.46 = 811 kJ

Not sure if the respective latent heat at the solid liquid phase change
influences this result much. I'm presuming not.

Do you have any spud gun designs?

John