[meteorite-list] Georgia Meteorite

From: jeff hodges <hodgjt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 09:50:52 -0700 (PDT)

I was out last night and at aprox.22:03 eastern time when I witnessed a Large
fireball as it entered the atmosphere. It was initialy bright white, thought I
saw a small piece fragment off of it and extinguish, then it turned greeneish
yellow and then bright orange as it disappeared over the Horizon. I was located

about 6 miles north of Weaverville, North Carolina and the fireball was coming
almost straight down maybe angled slightly off to the east. The best I could
tell it was headed south toward Asheville, NC, then Grenn Georgia since it was
falling almost straight down and directly south of me. It was totally awesome
and the second largest fireball I've ever witnessed. It looked like it had good

potential to put at least some small rocks on the ground. Just got lucky as I

was only out for about 1 minute before the event and was just happening to be
looking directly where it originated.