[meteorite-list] Kepler Questions

From: Eric Wichman <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 18:44:08 -0700

Hey List, I'm in the middle of an article for the magazine, and need
some information/data here please.

The Kepler data states 1235 planets were discovered, of those 68 were
Earth sized and 54 within the habitable zone. It also says that the area
of Keplers view spans an area about 1/400th the whole sky where 156,000
stars reside.

What I cannot find is the number telling me how many stars those planets
were found orbiting. Not the total in Keplers view mind you, but the
total stars out of the 156,000 that actually had planets around them.

The closest thing I could find is this "Among the stars with planetary
candidates, 170 show evidence of multiple planetary candidates."
http://kepler.nasa.gov/news/nasakeplernews/index.cfm?FuseAction=ShowNews&NewsID=98
<http://kepler.nasa.gov/news/nasakeplernews/index.cfm?FuseAction=ShowNews&NewsID=98>

This only tells me the number of stars which have *multiple* exoplanets.
Not the total number of stars that actually had planets orbiting them.

Is that number available somewhere? Am I missing it?

Regards,
Eric