[meteorite-list] Cox's Crater Wrongs

From: Dennis Cox <dragon-hunter_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 09:20:29 -0700

Hello list,

Actually, I really hope the craters in New Mexico can be proven to be of non
impact origin. The idea of a cave system big enough to produce thousands of
sports stadium sized sinkholes in a single hundred square mile cluster seems
pretty darned exciting to me. My complaint is that no one has done any real
science on them to prove anything, one way or another.

But it's true that I think Ed Grondine is a Liar and a fraud. Velikovsky
came first. The wannabe is Ed. And V didn't get the truth out of ancient
myth, and legend, either.

His latest lie is that I said the scaling laws did not exist. I said no such
thing. I said they did not apply to that particular conversation. And when
I demanded peer reviewed reference to support his claims, he came back with:

"Dennis, I think you're leaving out of your list of contacts some people
from Arizona, Morrison's allies.
The immediate PNAS link and your demand for references from refereed
literature are their usual tactic."

What? Are we supposed to take his word for it? Is that the way science
should be conducted? Since when did an amateur researcher, without academic
credentials, become the unquestioned dean of impact science?

At the time, I knew damn well no one had done any work to apply scaling laws
to airburst phenomena. Yet Ed came at me like I must be some kind of idiot
for not knowing about the amazing (and non-existent) science he just pulled
out of his butt. Mark Boslough, at Sandia Labs, had only recently pointed
out that simulations suggested very large airbursts might have efficient
geo-ablative properties. The work to determine how a geo-ablative airburst
might scale up from smallest, to largest, or what the largest example of
such an event might be, has not been done.

Ed assumes many things. He claims that oral traditions contain accurate
memories more than 13,000 years old. But he cannot present proof. And we all
know that memories less than half as old from the bronze age, and that were
written down, can't be relied upon. If 5,000 year old written memories
aren't reliable, how can oral histories more than twice as old be expected
to do any better?

It's pretty darn clear why Ed hates me. I've repeatedly called him a liar,
and a fraud, in public forums. There's no mystery there. He has to discredit
that claim. But I was curious what the hell Dave Morrison ever did to get on
his bad side. So I asked him.

Here's what Dave had to say about it:

"I do my best to ignore Grondine. He is not reliable. For more than a decade
he has consistently written that I favor the Nemesis hypotheses, and he
sticks to this unfounded belief no matter how many times I correct him. He
used to show up at scientific meetings to ask weird questions, but he
doesn't seem to travel any more. As you note, however, his rejections by
scientists have no effect on his vast self-confidence.

I have no idea who he refers to as "some people from Arizona". He has had
run-Ins with my colleagues from California, Colorado, and New Mexico more
than Arizona. But it doesn't matter, as we all now ignore him."

And in spite of the being corrected "many times", Ed persists in repeating
that lie publically.

Dave was nicer than I would've been when he used, "vast self-confidence". I
would have used 'delusions of grandeur'. While Ed sees himself as the grand
ole man of impact science. He is in fact just another an amateur researcher
without academic credentials, and with a hard spot for anyone who's
skeptical of his views. He is desperate to tear down anyone who disagrees
with him. And he will not hesitate to use falsehood to do so.

Regards,
Dennis Cox
http://craterhunter.wordpress.com/