[meteorite-list] Mercury Fragments on earth (not)

From: Michael Fowler <mqfowler_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 19:44:43 -0500

We should always keep an eye out for meteorites that have unusual characteristics.

That said, I believe there is one fatal flaw in the calculations of the poster paper.

"it is the only planet where impact speeds routinely range from 5?20 times the planet's escape speed; this causes impact ejecta to leave its surface moving many times faster than needed to escape its gravitational pull. Thus, a large fraction of mercurian ejecta may reach heliocentric orbit with speeds sufficiently high for Earth? crossing orbits to exist immediately after impact, resulting in larger fractions of the ejecta reaching Earth as meteorites."

Read carefully, the fatal flaw is that for impact speeds that high, nearly everything is vaporized, or turned to dust. The conundrum, is that the impactor must shock, or transfer energy to the Mercurian rocks fast enough to eject them, but not so fast as to vaporize or crush them.

I think that brings us back to square one. ie, Mercurian meteorites are very unlikely, but not impossible.

Mike Fowler
Chicago