[meteorite-list] Mercury Fragments on earth (not)

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 20:22:37 -0500

There was a time when you could say: "The fact that
Lunar meteorites have not been found on Earth is
prima facie evidence that there are none."

There was a time when you could say: "The fact that
Martian meteorites have not been found on Earth is
prima facie evidence that there are none."

Humans have stared at both and had no idea of what
they were looking at. Martians were frequent enough
to get and maintain a class all their own for centuries
before we knew, and Lunars we probably just tossed
over our shoulders without a thought.

I say:

This is a time when you (or I) can say: "The fact that
Mercurian meteorites have not been found on Earth is
prima facie evidence that we can't recognize them!
We don't know what they are. We are probably quite
wrong about what to expect."

Sterlng K. Webb