[meteorite-list] Mercury Fragments on earth (not)

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 22:46:48 -0500

Richard, List,

The timing is perfect. 1981? It was January 1982
when John Schutt found an odd Antarctic meteorite,
Allan Hills 81005. At the Smithsonian, Brian Mason
thought it resembled some rocks brought back from
the Moon by Apollo, and it was recognized.

A few years later, Yamato 791197, found in 1979 in
Antarctica was recognized as a Lunar, so when Dodd
wrote that in 1981, there was already a collected,
catalogued Lunaite waiting for someone to notice it.

As of late 2010, about 134 lunar meteorites have been
discovered, representing more than 50 separate falls
with a TKW of 46 kg, and around one in a thousand
new falls that are collected is a lunar.

Sterling K. Webb