[meteorite-list] CA meteorwrongs + Cat Mountain redux

From: Matson, Robert D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 11:57:51 -0700

Hi Count,

> Right away you can tell that the this piece is probably a
> meteorite..although methinks it ain't an iron...by the experienced
> guys who are commenting on this post.

Surely you jest! ;-) Or you're poking some good-hearted fun at
"experienced guys" because of the feedback you got about your Cat
Mountain. (Though you can't lump Mike Farmer and me into the group
that said that ~your~ find wasn't a meteorite, 'cuz I don't believe
either of us commented on it.) In any case, I don't mind risking what
little reputation I have by saying these California finds aren't
meteorites. I've seen these roasted meteorwrongs enough times in
the Mojave Desert that I no longer bend over to pick them up.

> So, if you fellows will let me...I'll take a crack at buying it
> and see if my luck is still holding up since last weekend.

I applaud your optimism! On the plus side, you should be able to get
one of them pretty cheap since I don't expect a bidding war to ensue.
;-)

> I say luck as I'm getting ready to make another announcement of an
> even larger find of Cat Mountain then the one I got 3/23/11...initial
> analysis looks good. A 170 gram individual and some questionable
> smaller pieces.

Fantastic! Good for you!

> You fellows are missing out by not getting down to Snyder Hill in
> Tucson. Only one hunter there last weekend. Lonely.

Tough time of year to be hunting. I expect you'll have more company
come late autumn.

I've been meaning to ask about your "Cat Mountain 001" designation.
Is this expected to become a synonym for Cat Mountain (since your
initial find is clearly paired to the original)? Presumably the only
reason one would start a numbered series is if one or more unpaired
meteorites have been found in the same general area.

Congrats on your latest find(s),
Rob