[meteorite-list] Mercurian meteorite models nomination OT Version

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 18:24:45 -0500

Doug,
I hope you mean the 1963 Mercury Meteor S33. None
other is truly worthy. Oh, and it has to be RED.

Edwin,
The Studebaker "President" goes back to 1927-1942.
The President was given a powerful eight-cylinder
engine that was worthy of the elegant coachwork that
it carried. The engine earned Studebaker a reputation
in power, performance and endurance. In 1931 a
Studebaker President outfitted with a nine-bearing
engine won the Pikes Peak hillclimb. That engine
captured 114 records, 35 of which would stand for
35 years.

The name "President" was revived in 1955 and went
until 1958. There was also a "President Speedster"
model. The "Presidents" were essentially Studebaker
Hawks. The chassis is so identical that it is common
to restore "Presidents" by rebuilding them on the
much more common Hawk chassis. Not to mention
the equally identical Packard Hawks. And then there
was the Studellacs...

For a pictorial review, try:
http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Studebaker/index.html

I don't usually wander this far Off Topic, but I had a
favorite uncle who had a Studebaker Golden Hawk with
the optional centrifical supercharger. Until, as a child,
you've sat in the front passenger seat of such an incredibly
primitive piece of engineering, with your chin resting on
the (unpadded) dash watching the roadway roll in as the
speedometer flirts with the 150 mph mark, all to the
accompaniment of a supercharger scream that would put
a diving Stuka to shame... Well, it's an experience.

Sterling K. Webb