[meteorite-list] Shirokovsky

From: Bernd V. Pauli <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:50:31 +0000

Hello All,

Shirokovsky is terrestrial, it is a pseudo-meteorite, it is man-made!

- does not contain typical accessory phases of stony-iron meteorites
- accessory phases completely atypical
- Olivine has a terrestrial oxygen isotopic composition
- Pt/Ir ratio similar to that of terrestrial Cu-Ni ore deposits
- has never been in space (noble gases no cosmic component!)
- absence of cosmic-ray tracks corroborates noble gas study results (= best?tigen)
- Olivine TL spectra similar to terrestrial peridotites

Conclusion: Shirokovsky is manufactured, man-made!

As for its nickel contents, see also the entry in the (online) Met.Bull.

... and, yes, I have a thin 2.7 gr slice of Shirokovsky with translucent olivines.
I got that pseudo-pallasite in 2003 from Eric Olson. It doesn't pollute my
collection but it sure looks a bit "pale-faced" when sitting next to a genuine
pallasite like Esquel, Brenham, Admire, etc.

Cheers,

Bernd