[meteorite-list] Happy Cat Mountain story

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:10:24 -0400

List, All,
I would like to explain the situation here as I see it.
To me this whole story is amazing.
Out of the blue Guido posts on the met-list that he is in possession of a very rare meteorite.
After looking at the mere photos of it I responded that it "looked like Cat MT in every way".
Much to my surprise the next post from Guido announces that it is in fact a newly discovered Cat MT. meteorite.
This I repeat was recognized by me from a mere photograph and I was correct. How good is that?
How many other people made this recognition from the photo?
None.
As a matter of fact most people that initially saw the photo told him it was slag. In fact Greg H. cleverly named it Slagadocios.
Well , Gary F. recommended that Guido should have it looked at by an expert. So, Guido sent it at his own expense to one of the most knowledgeable investigators of meteorites on the planet. He sent it to Dr. Ted Bunch. As everyone knows by now . It was confirmed to be a paired example of Cat MT.
This discovery prompted me to go back out to Snyder Hill and search for more. I live 20 minutes away. As luck would have it. On Aug 2, 2011 I found another example of Cat MT. This was totally amazing because I had not only been there two dozen times before dating back to 1995 but , I had taken many people to the hunt zone to look and as mentioned before. I was with the group back in 1995 that found what turned out to be the "Snyder Hill" meteorite. The same group also found a pecan size Cat MT that I was not aware they had found until recently.
So, to be clear. I recognized Guido's Cat MT. from a photo. This prompted me to go back out and look for more. I found and thoroughly documented this 170 gram find with many pictures and a GPS unit.
This I agreed to allow Guido to get authenticated and to sell it for me because I was not looking for any publicity.
You can rate the this story yourself but, to me this is a great story . Worthy of note in the meteorite community but, clearly should be an inspiration to all future wood- be hunters. The lesson is of course to "go and look where meteorites have been found before" (Bob Haag.)
It's all good. Only a real scrooge could see it any other way.
Carl
Meteoritemax

--

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote".