[meteorite-list] 25143 Itokawa and meteorites

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 12:48:29 -0400

Thanks David for the reply, Al, Martin, Listers,

As for Vesta, because it is differentiated, it is unlikely to have any
intact chondrules to source, but as an HED source, its the best bet
we've got for parent bodies. Like you say, Itokawa is so small and
already considered a rubble pile. Just to think all that rubble
assembled there, and how many other asteroids seem to share its class,
yet on another scale, it would be like the Native American's asking
Colombus if he were the parent body for all the Europeans just because
they met him (first)!

Kindest wishes
Doug