[meteorite-list] OT_ Irene

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 10:05:42 -0400

On Aug 28, 2011, at 5:38 AM, Larry & Twink Monrad wrote:

> I picture you on your bike riding through the storm...

Hi,

Just returned from a long bike ride. ;-) In Manhattan, this one is about the flooding and not the winds---which never approached hurricane strength here.

I did not notice one fallen tree in Central Park or Riverside Park. (By way of comparison, a year ago there was a microburst which took out dozens of trees.) The streets are empty apart from emergency vehicles---which is really eerie. The bike path along the Hudson is, well, just underwater making the Hudson seem as if it's an infinity pool.

Aside from this light fare, there are police lines preventing folks from getting into the low lying areas (lower Manhattan) which is enduring serious flooding. Irene is moving on.