[meteorite-list] Montrose Meteorites / Steve Curry

From: Walter L. Newton <newton_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 07:22:02 -0600

Just a few weeks ago, the family and I took a quick 4 day trip to
Albuquerque NM, Aztec NM and the Four Corners region of Colorado, for a
little ruins, rocks and state parks. On the way home, we stopped at a small
general store/rock shop in Cimarron Colorado, and the woman there had 3
pieces of this "Montrose Iron" with certificates of authenticity from Steve
Curry. On line, I also found a gift shop in Grand Junction selling some of
his "meteorites." It looks like Curry is trying to saturate the Western Slop
of Colorado with his junk. I tried to tell the woman in Cimarron that these
were fake, but she just complained to me that "these are out of your price
range, you wouldn't be able to afford them." And I emailed the shop in Grand
Junction, they never responded to my email. This Curry Crap (tm) is just
tainting the meteorite market, and the effect will snowball to honest
dealers and collectors and the general public who are going to get burnt.
Too bad.

Walter L. Newton
?
Website