[meteorite-list] Curry Montrose Meteorites and Walter L. Newton

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 14:17:09 -0400

Hi Greg C

If you wanted to market a meteorite, and trademark it:

Let's say you have NWA 6658 and wanted to distinguish your product
because you held a huge mass of it and were heavily invested. While I
am totally in agreement with your thought about the official scientific
literature name assignment as I posted before too, a trademark need not
be the exact nomcom assignment.

You could enjoy all the benefits of a trademarked meteorite name for
example if you registered MES-6658, which is not a scientific name but
rather your assigned commercial name. I am not trying to be a
marketing department here so forgive me if the names aren't sexy enough
that I use for illustration.

If Haag, for example, wishes to market his Esquel like this, there is
no reason I see why he couldn't trademark "PerEsquel" (and allow his
customers to use the name as well) or some better thought out name to
emphasize he is a major supplier of it and it cvontains precious stones
- peridots.

I have mixed feelings about such trademarking, but in some cases it
could make sense.

Kindest wishes
Doug